My passport is a lady dressed in rich red
Shamelessly inked by men and women all the world over
Yet I’ve never seen home and all he has to offer


Hands etched with varicose veins
Gravelly roads running into rivers still pulsating with life
If I followed them with my fingers and feet I’ve been told I’ll find
Pockets of people who’ve been there all along
Who are foreign and family at the same time


Great caverns carved into his ears
That has been home to history and creatures of the night
Hiding delicate beauties in the dark
So sunlight can’t steal them away


His hair was once thick and lush
Jungles composed of
Towering trees shading wildlife and wild people
Alive with birdsong and beasts
But
Now decaying in greed’s tight fist


Home has never been the same ever since.

___________________________________________________________
NOTE: I wrote this for The Dirty Thirty, where you write a poem a day throughout the month of April based on the given prompt. The prompt for this was to write about a place you'd never been to, so I wrote about the rest of Sarawak that I've not explored.